Requirements for A commercial endorsement is required for work on board British flagged vessels subject to the MCA’s codes of practice for small commercial vessels.
Applicants will have to show medical fitness on application for commercial endorsement and relevant qualifications in other fields prior to applying. The current guidelines show applicants must have the following in order to apply
- Your original certificate
- Your Professional Practices and Responsibilites certificate
- A commercial endorsement application form
- An ML5 or ENG1 medical fitness certificate – can be downloaded on the RYA Website. They can only accept the latest version of the ML5 form (currently Rev 04/12). Skippers working in category 1 or 0 waters will need the ENG1 medical. Contact the MCA for a list of approved doctors.
- A copy of your RYA Basic Sea Survival certificate or STCW Personal Survival Techniques
- MCA STCW Elementary First Aid Course Certificate or other acceptable First Aid Certificate
- RYA Marine Radio (SRC) Short range certificate or other acceptable GMDSS Marine Radio Operator’s Certificate.
- A passport sized photo with your name on the back
- The fee £33
The following certificates can receive the standard commercial endorsement:
I) Course completion certificate:
- RYA National Powerboat Certificate – Level 2
- RYA National Powerboat Certificate – Advanced (only if issued before January 1, 2005)
- RYA Day Skipper (tidal) practical course completion certificate.
- RYA Day Skipper (non-tidal) practical course completion certificate, only if supported by a Day Skipper shorebased course completion certificate.
II) Certificate of competence (exam passed):
- RYA Advanced Powerboat Certificate of Competence
- RYA Yachtmaster Coastal Certificate of Competence
- RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence
- RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Certificate of Competence
In addition, the RYA Yachtmaster Offshore and Yachtmaster Ocean Certificates of Competence can receive the STCW endorsement.
Full information on any of the above can be obtained by clicking the links or contacting us at the office on 01475 520381.